Friday, May 2, 2008

Christianity and Jobs

I've come to realize that the shower is possibly the best location for deep, meditative thoughts. Unless I'm in a rush, I find myself pondering deep thoughts whenever I'm standing beneath the warm streams of water and scrubbing myself clean. Sometimes I'll be thinking about possibly melodies for new songs, or I might be reviewing the message of the latest sermon I heard, or I might be thinking about events in my life.

For those that don't know, I'm a 19-year-old student that attends a small college in Northern New Jersey that focuses on science and engineering. I enrolled in this school before I was saved, which occurred in the summer of 2007. My major is Computer Science with a concentration in Video Game Design.

While I was in the shower the other day, a thought crossed my mind. Should a Christian have a secular job? I understand that there are many people out there who are truly saved and hold secular jobs. But as Christians, our chief goal is to be conformed to the image of Jesus Christ and to glorify God in all we do.

My question is this: is it acceptable for me to pursue a career as a video game programmer? Programming software is a very time-consuming activity. Isn't that time better spent studying the Word, praying, doing long-term missions, attending seminary, writing songs for His glory, etc? My main concern is that my time spent programming is wasted time that does not bring glory to God.

Can a Christian hold a secular job and bring glory to God? If so, couldn't a Christian bring more glory to God through other things?

4 comments:

Andrew Kim said...

Hi. :] This is what I've been pondering ever since our conversation some time in the fall. I'm more uncertain now than ever. Whenever people would ask me what my major is going to be in college, or what colleges I'm applying to, I would either disclose my tentative plans or give an "I don't know" response to quell their questioning. Today I was asked once again where I want to go to college and what I'm planning on doing in life, and now I can give only a truthful "I don't know". I suppose I should just wait until God's Will is manifested in my life.

joel lee said...

I'm still feeling ambivalent on this topic but I think I'm coming to a slight understanding.

I know, personally, a few devoted Christians (as devoted as I've ever witnessed) who hold secular jobs. One of them, in particular, is a professor here at my college.

Even though he has a secular job, God has used him and his position as a professor to reach a surprisingly large number of students on campus over the past few decades. Some of the students that he has discipled have grown to be full-time missionaries and pastors.

So I suppose the only answer to this question is that God will bring the most glory to Himself through you. It's not a question of what you or I think will bring the most glory to God; He knows what will bring the most glory to Him, and He'll manifest that in your life.

I tend to blabber in my posts and comments, don't I?

Anonymous said...

I have held a secular job since before I got saved, and had some trouble with keeping the job when I was saved. But God reached out to me through the kinds words of some friends and reminded me that a secular office is often where you can do the most good, since the harvest (of people) is the greatest. How many coworkers are you going to save if you work for the church? No matter where you are, there are opportunities to reach people and be a light. God will show you exactly where he wants you to do his work, and it will be up to you if you want to treat it like a "job" or a mission field. Blessings, Lisa

joel lee said...

Thanks for your response, mlshiira.

I had a feeling that the reason you gave was the primary justification for holding a secular job over a church/missionary/pastoral job. I guess I just needed someone to confirm the idea.

I agree with you that the workplace can be a great opportunity for harvest as long as we place the glory of God higher than the retention of our jobs. I feel that most places would warn/fire you if you evangelize at work.