Monday, May 19, 2008

A Blessing and a Curse

On Saturday, my youth group and I celebrated the birthday of one of our kids. We had a great time of fellowship and we spent the majority of the day in a park for a picnic with activities. For the first time in over 6 months, I got to play tennis!

Having come home from college, I can't help but be locked up in my room all day. There's really nothing for me to do around here. I live in the suburbs so anything that is remotely interesting is not within walking distance. I don't have a car. My college friends don't live near me. My youth group is still in school for another month. I'm left with nothing to do but whatever is available on my computer.

[Jesus said,] "I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing. If anyone does not abide in Me, he is thrown away as a branch and dries up; and they gather them, and cast them into the fire and they are burned. If you abide in Me and My words abide in you, ask whatever you wish and it will be done for you. My Father is glorified by this, that you bear much fruit, and so prove to be My disciples."

John 15:5-8

Based on how the past week or so went, this is both a blessing and a curse. On the one hand, I have a lot of time on my hands to spend in the Word, read Christian literature, play my guitar and practice my songwriting. On the other hand, the internet can be a source of procrastination, distraction and temptation. The logical thing to do would be to limit my internet time, and although that would help me immensely, it would also require a lot of discipline, which is something that I lack greatly in the midst of summer and boredom.

So there's really nothing left for me except to pray for strength and grace to keep my priorities in order, to keep my focus where it should be, to make myself smaller and to make God's glory everything. I want to be fruitful. I want to abide in Christ. I want to prove myself a faithful disciple of our Lord, bringing glory unto Him and Him alone.

No comments: