Saturday, April 26, 2008

Knowing Him Intimately

As an aspiring worship leader, I try to find as many worship-leading resources to help me cultivate my love for music in such a way that God would be glorified. I'm sure we all know of the popular worship artists, such as Chris Tomlin and Matt Redman. Their songs have been sung all over the world and they have helped lead many to worship God.

However, there are also worship artists that are under the radar, whether they choose to remain that way or because they're just starting. Somewhat recently, while watching a webisode of New Song Cafe, I came across a worship songwriter named Vicky Beeching. Her songs are a breath of fresh air from the typical Contemporary Worship scene, where most songs are watered-down in terms of theology and doctrine.

I just found that she maintains her own blog and I read one of her posts. She wrote:

[God] reminded me that I need to stop stressing myself out with doing and just rest in being with Him. He reminded me that it's only when we are connected to "The Vine" (John 15) that we bear fruit, not when we neglect the Vine by trying to bear fruit in our own strength.

And she ends her post by asking a question: "In your life, how is the balance between being with Jesus and doing things for Jesus? Is He calling you to spend more time alone with Him?"

I've come to realize that in the past few months, in my search for true doctrine and in my journey to avoid false teachings, I've grown so used to learning about God that I've forgotten to be with God. It's time to return to the basics, at least for now. Scripture comes first and foremost and literature from theologians comes second.

It's not enough to know about God; we need to know Him intimately.

No comments: